Yellow Lentil Soup (Moong Dal Soup)
This hearty soup is made with lentils and aromatic spices for a dish that'll keep you warm from the inside out.
Serves: 4Prep: 45 minutesCook: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup yellow lentils, rinsed
- 5 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup white onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄3 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, julienned
- Soak lentils in 2 cups vegetable broth until liquid is absorbed. In a bowl, mix cilantro and 2 tablespoons lime juice.
- In a separate bowl, combine ginger and 1 tablespoon lime juice.
- In a non-stick saucepan over medium heat, heat lentils and remaining vegetable broth. Add tomato and turmeric; cook until lentils are tender.
- In a blender, blend lentil mixture until smooth.
- In a sauce pan, cook garlic in oil for 30 seconds. Add onions and continue to cook 3 minutes. Add cumin and continue to cook 30 seconds; stir.
- Add carrots, celery and mushrooms, continue cooking 5 minutes. Pour in soup and salt; continue cooking until carrots and mushrooms are tender. Serve with lime cilantro mix. Garnish with ginger.