Vegan Pumpkin Layer Cake with Maple Cinnamon Frosting
This easy-to-make plant-based cake is loaded with warm spices and covered in a simple cinnamon-maple frosting for a holiday dessert everyone can enjoy.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Simple Truth Organic™ Whole Ground Flaxseed Meal
- 1 cup almond milk, divided
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 can (15 oz.) Simple Truth Organic™ Solid Packed 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla, divided
- 1 cup plant-based butter
- 3 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more for decorating if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 8” cake pans and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In second bowl, stir together flaxseed meal and 6 tablespoons almond milk. Let stand 5 minutes to thicken.
- Whisk together remaining 10 tablespoons almond milk, oil, sugars, pumpkin, vinegar and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Add wet ingredients into dry; stir until just combined. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 33 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer cakes to wire racks and allow to cool in pans 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove cakes from pans. Let cool completely before frosting.
- Meanwhile, beat butter until smooth and fluffy. Add powdered sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat on low until sugar is combined before increasing speed and beating mixture until fluffy.
- Place 1 cake layer on cake plate or stand. Top with about ¾ cup of frosting; spread in an even layer. Place second cake layer on top. Frost the top and sides of cake with remaining frosting. Sprinkle a ring of ground cinnamon along the outer top edge of the cake if desired.
- Store refrigerated.