Vegan Apple Crumble Bars
With layers of sweet crust, tender caramel apples and crumbly topping, these fall-inspired bars are perfect for your next small gathering.
Serves: 9Prep: 25 minutesCook: 25 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 large apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 1⁄2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare 8”x8” baking pan with aluminum foil or nonstick cooking spray.
- In large skillet over medium-low heat, add apples, 1 tablespoon coconut oil, coconut sugar, cinnamon and salt. Cook 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender.
- In small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water; stir into apple mixture. Continue cooking until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.
- In food processor, blend together rolled oats, dates, almond milk and 2 tablespoons coconut oil. Once mixture holds together, divide into thirds.
- Press two thirds of the dough in an even layer into prepared pan. Spread apple mixture over base. Crumble remaining third of dough over apple mixture.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool.
- Serve and refrigerate leftovers.