Simple Roast Chicken
A simple roast chicken is great to make at the beginning of the week. It’s delicious on its own, and the leftovers can be added to a simple salad or quesadilla for an easy meal the next day.
Serves: 6Prep: 20 minutesCook: 1 hourTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 (5-6 lb.) whole chicken, rinsed with cold water and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place chicken in roasting pan, breast side up. Rub inside and outside of chicken with salt and pepper.
- Bake 60 minutes. Check internal temperature by inserting thermometer under thigh, it should stop at 170°F. Inserting thermometer in breast, thermometer should stop at 160°F. Continue baking at 10-minute intervals, checking the temperature each interval, until fully cooked.
- Remove chicken from oven; add Italian seasonings to roasting juices. Use baster to gather juices in pan; gently spread over entire chicken. Repeat about 15 times. Let chicken sit in roasting pan 15 minutes.
- Serve and refrigerate leftovers.