Simple Herb Roasted Turkey with Pan Gravy
A whole turkey is rubbed with a mixture of fresh sage, rosemary, thyme, savory garlic and spices before slowly roasting in the oven.
Serves: 10Prep: 15 minutesCook: 3 hours 45 minutesTotal: 4 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 2 packages Simple Truth Organic™ Poultry Herb Blend, chopped
- 1 cup Kroger® Spreadable Butter with Olive Oil & Sea Salt
- Coarse salt
- Black pepper
- 1 whole turkey (10-12 lbs.)
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups Kroger® Chicken Stock, hot
- Kroger® Garlic Powder
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Combine garlic, herbs, butter and seasoning in a bowl. Set aside.
- Pat the thawed turkey dry with paper towels and tuck the wings behind the neck. Rub the herb butter mixture all over the skin, coating thoroughly.
- Transfer to a roasting rack inside a roasting pan and add water to the bottom of the pan.
- Roast for 3-3½ hours or until a meat thermometer, inserted into the thigh, registers 180°F. Cover breast with foil approximately two-thirds through the cooking time to avoid excessive browning.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes, loosely covered with foil. Transfer to a large platter and let it continue resting.
- Skim fat from top of juices in roasting pan, reserve ¼ cup of fat.
- Drain juices from the roasting pan and measure 1-2 cups.
- Heat up the roasting pan over high heat. Add the fat and sprinkle with flour once it is warm.
- Whisk to combine the fat and flour. Cook for 3-4 minutes, reducing heat as needed to avoid burning.
- Slowly add the hot stock, whisking constantly to avoid any lumps. Increase heat and bring gravy to a boil, stirring constantly. Season with coarse salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Serve with sliced turkey.