Crispy Topped Mashed Potatoes
The next time you make rich and creamy mashed potatoes, don’t toss out the peels. Instead reduce your food waste by roasting the peelings until they’re potato chip crisp and use them as a crispy topping for your creamy mash.
Serves: 6Prep: 10 minutesCook: 20 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup Kroger® Heavy Whipping Cream, warmed
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Peel potatoes, reserving the peelings. Cut potatoes into large cubes.
- Place potato cubes in 4-quart saucepan. Cover with cold salted water. Cover pan and bring to a boil. Remove lid, reduce heat slightly and cook 8-10 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile toss reserved potato peelings with olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt and garlic powder. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake 14-17 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until golden brown and crispy. Set aside.
- Drain cooked potatoes and return to the pan. Mash together with heavy cream, butter and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Serve mashed potatoes topped with crispy potato skins.
- Refrigerate leftovers.