Caramel Apple-Stuffed French Toast
A tasty breakfast treat with a hint of fruity goodness.
Serves: 2Prep: 15 minutesCook: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream Cheese Filling
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- French Toast
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 4 slices wheat bread
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 Simple Truth Organic™ Granny Smith Apples, divided
- Powdered sugar, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter, then add brown sugar and whisk for about a minute. Add heavy cream and vanilla extract. Continuously whisk for 1–2 minutes until the caramel forms. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a small bowl, mix together the softened cream cheese, cinnamon, and sugar with a fork until smooth and well incorporated. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon, and 1 tablespoon sugar until smooth. Set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Soak two slices of bread in the egg mixture, making sure to coat both sides. Place the egg-soaked bread slices in the skillet and cook for 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Remove French toast from pan. Melt another tablespoon of butter in the skillet and repeat the coating and cooking process with the other two slices of bread. Set the French toast aside.
- Dice 1½ of the apples into medium-sized cubes. Slice the remaining ½ apple and reserve for later use.
- In the same skillet, melt the remaining one tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Add diced apples and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon and sugar. Sauté for 3–5 minutes or until apples are slightly golden brown. Remove from pan.
- Evenly spread the cream cheese filling onto the 4 slices of French toast. Place a slice of French toast on a plate and top with the cooked apple mixture. Place another slice of French toast on top with the cream cheese filling facing down to create stuffed French toast. Repeat with remaining French toast, apples and cream cheese filling.
- Drizzle with caramel sauce and garnish with remaining sliced apples and powdered sugar.