Brown Butter Cinnamon Apple Pie
Premade pie crust is layered with nutty brown butter, brown sugar, spiced Granny Smith apples and topped with a beautiful lattice crust for a time-saving version of a holiday classic.
Serves: 8Prep: 30 minutesCook: 55 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup salted butter
- 6 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Private Selection™ Ground Cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons Kroger® Ground Ginger
- 2 teaspoons Kroger® Ground Cloves
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 packages Kroger® Rolled Pie Crusts, thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water, whisked
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium low and continue cooking until the fat solids are brown and the butter smells nutty.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Combine apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, cornstarch and browned butter in a large bowl.
- Line 9” pie plate with one pie crust, press firmly on the bottom and sides.
- Unroll second pie crust and cut into ½” strips using a ruffled edge cutter. Unroll third pie crust and cut out leaf or other desired shapes.
- Transfer apple mixture to the pie plate and place dough strips on top in a lattice pattern. Crimp edges. Whisk egg and water together. Brush crust with egg wash. Place decorative leaves around the edge of the crust and brush with egg wash.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown. Cover edge of crust with 3” wide strips of foil after first 20 minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning.
- Remove from oven and cool on baking rack at least 1 ½ hours before serving.