Dr. Mercola® Organic Collagen Powder for Cats & Dogs
Collagen is the most plentiful protein in your pet’s body – it makes up as much as 30% of his or her body’s total proteins and 70 to 80% of the protein in skin. Found in the connective tissue throughout the body, collagen provides the structural scaffolding for tissues to maintain their integrity and flexibility.
Collagen supports the integrity of your pet’s muscles, bones, tendons, ligaments, blood vessels, digestive tract and skin. It plays an essential role in many functions:
- Supports digestion by increasing stomach acid and attracting and holding liquids, including digestive juices in your pet’s gut
- Helps restore and maintain gut health, as well as support immune function
- Supports normal detoxification processes as a precursor amino acid for glutathione
- Supports healthy muscles and energy production during exercise by forming creatine along with two other amino acids
- Supports the genetic building blocks, DNA and RNA, for healthy cells
- Supports your pet’s normal healthy inflammatory response
- As vital as collagen may be to your cat’s or dog’s well-being, her body’s capacity to produce it declines as she ages
Lost collagen can be replaced, however. The sooner you begin supplying your pet with the building blocks his body needs, the more likely you can help support healthy, comfortable movement and all of collagen’s other potential benefits.