Big Batch Vegan Tempeh Sloppy Joes
This recipe will quickly become a favorite with vegans, vegetarians and even meat-eaters! Make a big batch of the filling and freeze in small containers to have on hand.
Serves: 8Prep: 5 minutesCook: 25 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 packages (8 oz. each) tempeh, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons Simple Truth Organic™ Filtered Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup Private Selection™ Sweet Onions, diced
- 1 cup Simple Truth Organic™ Celery Hearts, diced
- 1 bottle (19 oz.) Simple Truth Organic™ Original BBQ Sauce
- 2 cups Simple Truth Organic™ Broccoli Slaw
- 2 green onions, minced
- 1⁄2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 16 Kroger® 100% Whole Wheat Sliders Buns
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan with a heavy bottom. Sauté the onions and celery until beginning to soften and stir in the tempeh. Sauté while stirring for another 5-8 minutes until beginning to brown. Stir in the barbeque sauce and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl stir the broccoli slaw, green onion and mayonnaise together. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- To serve, scoop the tempeh mixture onto split buns and top with slaw. Cool completely before storing in the refrigerator or freezer. The tempeh mixture will keep for 5 days refrigerated and at least 2 months in the freezer. The slaw will keep for about 4 days in the refrigerator but cannot be frozen.