Eating for a More Vibrant Life
Tips for Living and Eating More Vibrantly
The ways we fuel and move our body can have a huge impact on the quality of our lives, and adopting a healthy, vibrant lifestyle doesn’t need to be all-or-nothing. The key to living your most vibrant life is in the little things. Little changes to how you eat and move each day can make a big difference in your overall health. These changes can help prevent conditions like depression, type 2 diabetes, stroke, high blood pressure, cancer and heart disease, and they’re easy to implement. Whether you’re looking to feel better, have more energy or maintain a healthy weight, you can lean on these tips to help you eat and live more vibrantly.
Make Exercise Part of Your Daily Routine
Research shows that generally, adults should sit less and move more. How much movement should you aim for? Studies show that moving, specifically for at least 150 minutes each week, can enhance your mood, give you more energy throughout your day and help you continue doing the things you love. To incorporate your daily movement practice with ease, try these tips:
- Choose something you enjoy, like dancing, walking, swimming, biking, tennis or weightlifting. Remember that yard work or a game of tag with the kids counts, too.
- Ask a friend to join you. Having a friend with you can keep you motivated and help you make the most of your exercise time, keeping you on track to meet your goals.
- Practice SAFE goals. Making sure that your goals are specific, attainable, forgiving and effective, or SAFE, will keep you motivated while helping you to practice self-compassion, making your healthy habits more sustainable. If your goal is to work out more, try creating a SAFE goal like walking 30 minutes a day, 3- 5 days a week.
Eating for a Vibrant life
Have you heard the phrase, 'eat the rainbow?' Sounds easy, but where do you start? First, break that statement into smaller, SAFE goals. Then, make simple changes to your plate and build from there. If vowing to eat a spectrum of superfoods feels like an unattainable goal, start by simply choosing to add a fruit and vegetable into 2 meals a day.
Here are additional tips and SAFE goals to work toward once you’re ready:
- Research healthy recipes and make a list before you go to the store. You’ll make healthier choices and save money and time while you’re there.
- Start your meals with colorful vegetables and other plant-based foods.
- Cook at home more often. Look for simple recipes that can be made in 30 minutes or less.
- Choose foods that have fewer ingredients.
Disclaimer: This information is educational only and is not meant to provide healthcare recommendations. Please see a healthcare provider.